Daniel Dennett on how to critically engage with another person’s ideas:
- You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
- You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
- You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
- Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
Tags: renewal, theology
How I Understand Renewals in Church History
1. Personal Renewal – a heart awakened
2. Movement – like minded hearts moving in the same passion
3. Organization – life organized for the sake of greater life
4. Institution – maintain what is – plateau and shift to corporate self-centeredness by doing what we have done before and serving the preferences of members (only hope is personal renewal and new wineskins to carry it)
5. Museum – curate the past – take people on tours of bygone glory days
At any point in the cycle, the key to corporate renewal is personal renewal going viral. Personal renewal is generally grounded in a rediscovery of the grace of God, the love of God, experienced in the Gospel with all the clutter removed. The cross, the empty tomb, God’s face revealed in Jesus. This love FOR ME.